Saturday, July 9, 2011

Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer

" I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love, I felt in myself a superabundance of energy which found no outlet in our quite life." -- Leo Tolstoy (p.g. 15)

"... So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future." (p.g. 57)

"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well into each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." -- Edward Whymper (p.g. 200)

No comments:

Post a Comment